TITLE: MAKING BETTER DECISIONS MAKES FOR A BETTER LIFE
TEXT: PSALMS 119:105
Our lives are a product of the decisions we have made. Strangely enough, our major decisions in life require that we make them at a young age in life, the age when we are the most foolish and inexperienced. Career choices, to go to college or not, who we will marry and spend our life with, remain pure or surrender our purity for a moment of gratification, accept or reject Jesus, etc. These are the Major decisions of life.
Each of us have regrets over some of the decision we made in our youth and we do because those decisions still hound us, even years later. As we come to a New Year many will be prone to make New Years Resolutions and there could be few resolutions that would so impact our lives in a positive manner than the resolution to make better decisions in the New Year.
In the Word of God we have a “lamp unto your feet, a light unto your path”. In a dark world, the Bible as a lamp unto your feet, will keep you from stumbling over obstacles the world and the devil put in our path to trip us up and cause our fall. As a light unto your path, the Word of God will give you direction and make clear the path before you, the path the Lord has prepared for each of us to walk in.
The following points are several (not all, but enough) principles the Word of God gives us to follow when making decisions, principles to making a better life, principles that will keep us from living a defeated life.
1. What does the Word of God say about it? [ 2 Timothy 3:16,17]
2. What have been its consequences on the lives of others?
[ Romans 15:4; I Corinthians 10:11]
3. What do the best Christians you know say about it, or could you imagine them doing it? [Proverbs 11:14]
4. What did our ancestors say about it? Sad to say, but many of the wisest Americans are those who are no longer in the land of the living, but their wisdom can still guide us. [Hebrews 11]
5. Will it contribute to making you a better Christian, or will it hinder your growth in Christ? [Hebrews 12:1,2]
6. What about your doubts? Are there any doubts in your mind about doing it? Give the Lord the benefit of the doubt and let the peace of God rule. [Romans 14:5]
7. Will it lead to replacing Jesus as the Lord of your life? Will it be addictive and become the lord of your life instead of Jesus? Never start anything you wont be able to stop!
[I Corinthians 6:12]
If you can’t pass all of these tests, let it go, Jesus has something much better for you.